Are you kicking yourself for buying an expensive auto insurance policy? Say no more because you're not alone.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. Many drivers in Tacoma could save an average of nearly 40% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don't grasp the benefits if they switched to a more affordable policy. Consumers have so many car insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it's a good thing to have multiple companies, it can be more difficult to locate the cheapest rates for Dodge Journey insurance in Tacoma.
It is always a good idea to shop coverage around quite often because rates go up and down regularly. Even if you think you had the best rate on Dodge Journey insurance in Tacoma two years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we're going to show you the right way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Tacoma can be much easier if you know how to start. If you are already insured, you should be able to shop for the lowest rates using the tips covered below. Smart shoppers just need to understand how to compare rate quotes online from multiple companies.
Finding a better price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. Drivers just need to take a few minutes getting comparison quotes to see which company has affordable Tacoma auto insurance quotes.
It's so fast and easy to compare rate quotes online that it makes it a waste of time to go to and from local Tacoma insurance agencies. Shopping for insurance online eliminates this option unless your situation requires the trained guidance only provided by licensed Tacoma agents. It is possible to comparison shop online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The following companies have been selected to offer quotes in Washington. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Journey SE 2WD||$254||$376||$294||$18||$88||$1,030||$86|
|Journey SXT 2WD||$176||$318||$278||$16||$82||$870||$73|
|Journey R/T 2WD||$180||$304||$334||$20||$100||$938||$78|
|Journey SXT Crew 2WD||$136||$236||$334||$20||$100||$826||$69|
|Journey SXT AWD||$222||$376||$334||$20||$100||$1,052||$88|
|Journey R/T AWD||$180||$358||$310||$18||$92||$958||$80|
|Journey SXT Crew AWD||$204||$420||$356||$22||$106||$1,108||$92|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Washington minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can alter auto insurance rates noticeably.
Full coverage or liability only
The information below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Journey insurance premiums with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The data assumes no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no exact formula of when to eliminate physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Dodge Journey settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $4,000 after the deductible is paid. If premiums are more than $400 a year to have full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not drop full coverage.
Cheaper Tacoma auto insurance rates with discounts
Some companies don't necessarily list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save a little off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Driving fewer miles may allow you to get lower premium rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Accident Free - Good drivers with no accidents get the best auto insurance rates when compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Good Student Discount - This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Professional Memberships - Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Tacoma may earn a discount when getting a Tacoma auto insurance quote.
- Home Ownership Discount - Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Anti-theft System - Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few larger companies allow discounts for buying a policy before your current coverage expires. It could save around 10% when you buy Tacoma auto insurance online.
As is typical with insurance, most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think you could get a free auto insurance policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer multiple discounts in Tacoma, follow this link.
Buying auto insurance from Tacoma auto insurance agents
Many drivers just want to sit down and talk to an agent and that is a personal choice. Experienced insurance agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to insurance agents in Tacoma who will give you quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, you just need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
Insurance agent types
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Tacoma agents can either be exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can insure your vehicles properly, but it's important to point out why they differ since it can affect the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are usually well trained on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Listed below are Tacoma exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not limited to a single company so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies depending on which coverage is best. If premiums increase, the business is moved internally and you don't have to switch agencies. If you need lower rates, it's recommended you include rate quotes from independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
The following is a list of independent agents in Tacoma willing to provide comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Butler Insurance Services Incorporated
4527 S Orchard St W - Tacoma, WA 98466 - (253) 336-8900 - View Map
Car insurance can get complicated
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Washington?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Smart Consumers Can Reduce Their Insurance Costs
When buying insurance it's important to understand some of the factors that go into determining insurance rates. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in better insurance rates.
The list below includes some of the most common factors insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- See if your company offers a multi-policy discount - Some insurers afford lower prices to buyers that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, drivers will still want to compare other company rates to ensure the best deal.
- Save money by having excellent credit - Having a bad credit history is likely to be a major factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit could use some work, you could save money insuring your Dodge Journey by repairing your credit. Insureds with very good credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
- Lower rates for safer vehicles - Cars with five star safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety reduce injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims and lower rates for you. If your Dodge Journey has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
- Insurance premiums and driver gender - Over the last 30 years, statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. It does not mean females are better drivers. Men and women are responsible for accidents at a similar rate, but males have costlier accidents. Not only that, but men also receive more costly citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 have the highest risk to insure and are penalized with high insurance rates.
- Single drivers take more risk - Your spouse may earn you lower rates on your insurance policy. Having a spouse is viewed as being more mature and responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married couples file fewer claims.
- Never let your insurance policy lapse - Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could result in fines and jail time.
- Vocation and insurance rates - Jobs like doctors, architects and medical professionals usually pay higher premiums than the average policyholder due to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. On the other hand, occupations such as farmers, students and homemakers pay the least.
- Insurance loss probability for a Dodge Journey - Insurers take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Models that statistically have a trend towards higher claims will have a higher cost to insure.
The next table illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Dodge Journey vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is equal to 100. Numbers below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or a tendency for losses to be larger than average.
Dodge Journey Insurance Loss Statistics
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Dodge Journey 4dr 2WD 80 92 80 148 163 131 Dodge Journey 4dr 4WD 96 116 71 96
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Choosing Dodge vehicle insurance is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Dodge in Tacoma, insurance is required in Washington but it also protects you in many ways.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Washington these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's most likely the lender will require you to have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for medical bills that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $830 a year so it's important to compare rates at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
More quotes mean more auto insurance savings
You just read a lot of ways to save on Dodge Journey insurance in Tacoma. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding low cost Tacoma auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the best premium rates are with a smaller regional carrier.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, unfair underwriting practices, being labeled a high risk driver or even high prices. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for High Risk Drivers in Washington? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Washington? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Washington Auto Insurance Rates with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)